Padua: Seminario, 1807. First edition. Two parts in one volume, octavo (240 x 165 mm). 441 pages. Errata leaf at end. Contemporary Paduan red morocco, richly gilt, the arms of Padua at center of each side, a wide gilt floral border, spine gilt, black morocco lettering-piece, edges gilt. Dried and somewhat cracked, bottom spine compartment perished, internally a fine, crisp copy. Item #400522
A major source, often cited, of bio-bibliographical information on the most famous citizens of Padua, framed around an exegesis of the statues surrounding the Prato della Valle. The two parts of the book divide the exterior ring (containing 44 statues) from the interior ring (containing a further 44 statues and obelisks). The square became the property of the city of Padua in 1767, having formerly belonged to the monks of Santa Giustina. The plan to restructure the square was that of Andrea Memmo (depicted in the final statue of the exterior ring). Among the notable figures represented with a statue, and described in Neumayr's extensive biographical notes, are Popes Paul II, Eugene IV, Alexander VIII and Clement XIII. Of greatest importance are Neumayr's entries on pages 121-134 for Ludovico Ariosto; pages 153-172 for Petrarch; and pages 173-179 for Galileo. Lauro no. 680. See also item 400524 for an 1842 guide to Padua.